Vacancy : Director of Strategic Communications
The European Movement UK is looking for an experienced and passionate Director of Strategic Communications to join our team.
About the European Movement UK
The European Movement UK is a cross-party organisation working to benefit the UK through a stronger trade and cultural relationship with the EU. We are powered by more than 12,000 members, some 160,000 supporters, 120+ local groups, and our strong networks in Westminster and communities throughout the UK.
Post-Brexit our organisation is growing fast, and building bridges with the rest of Europe is more important than ever. The hard Brexit deal negotiated at the end of 2020 was bad for the UK economy: our role is to give a voice to farmers, fishers, small business owners and teachers whose livelihoods are on the line. As the government negotiates new trade deals around the world, we will play a critical role in protecting the standards we currently enjoy – from environmental and food welfare standards, to workers’ rights.
At this pivotal time, we are looking for a Director of Strategic Communications to lead our work to shift public opinion and grow our movement. You will drive the development of evidence-led, politically astute, communications strategy, and oversee its delivery through our proactive and reactive press and public affairs activity and innovative on- and off-line campaigns. You will have significant experience of leading strategic communications in a political or campaigning environment and a tract record of shifting opinion or making change happen through the media. Our ideal candidate will be a brilliant political communicator, a strategic thinker with great ambition and focus, and someone who thrives in a busy, fast-paced campaign environment working as part of a tight-knit team.
About the role
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Strategic Communications will lead the European Movement UK's Strategic Communications strategy, with objectives that include:
- Create and lead a strategic communications strategy which:
- Shapes public narrative about the impact of leaving the EU and the need to rebuild our relationship with the EU step by step, and which over time creates the conditions within which rejoining the EU is politically possible;
- supports EM’s transformation into a mass membership organisation;
- Quickly grow profile, reach and influence, positioning EM as the authoritative, cross-party, pro-European voice in British politics;
- Build a high performing communications, campaigns and public affairs operation.
For more information about the role's key responsibilities, the key competencies, and required experience please read the role profile document below linked at the bottom of this page.
||£40,000 - £45,000
||Full time (35 hours per week)
||Flexible. This role can be home based or based at our London office in Chancery Lane. You will be required to attend regular team meetings at the London office.
|Deadline for applications
||9am on Monday 12 July 2021
||Week beginning 19 July 2021 (exact days to be confirmed)
Apply for the role
- Read the Role Profile and Person Specification Document
- Click on the link below to access the application system
- Read the "How to Apply" page on the application system
- Complete the application form
DIRECT APPLICATIONS ONLY PLEASE
Prospective enquiries from agencies, and applications made through agencies, will not be considered