JOB TITLE: CHIEF EXECUTIVE
Job Reference: BAKAPA
Closing Date: Monday 29th June
The European Movement was founded over 70 years ago to advocate close relationships between the UK and Europe. It is independent of all political parties, welcoming members of all and none. Lord Heseltine is President, the Rt Honourable. Stephen Dorrell chairs, Lord Adonis is a vice-chair.
The European Movement was a key promoter of the People’s Vote, as the necessary democratic process for halting Brexit, which it believes to be highly adverse for the UK. It continues to campaign for the UK to have the closest practicable relationship with Europe and the EU, holding to European liberal values as a counter to the forces of nationalism. The fight will include: support for EU citizens in the UK; close political, economic, intellectual, social and cultural links with Europeans, Europe and EU institutions; campaigning for UK citizens to have the highest possible level of access to Europe; generating creative policies for UK/EU relationships; and holding the government to account for Brexit and its consequences.
The European Movement is a democratic, paid membership organisation. A young motivated staff of (currently) 7, report to an Executive Committee accountable to a National Council, both elected. The European Movement operates locally, nationally, and internationally (not least as a member of the European Movement International, which exists in all member states and is supported by the EU).
The European Movement aims to be the mass membership pro-European movement in the UK. A key goal, therefore, is to grow rapidly the membership (together with other income streams) to support a materially higher level of activity in the post-Brexit world, delivered by an expanded staff and involving a wider range of stakeholders. It will, therefore, be critical for the organisation to appoint an impressive and experienced Chief Executive, who will support the organisation through a new stage in its growth and development.
The incoming Chief Executive should be ambitious and motivated, with a strong personal commitment to the pro-European cause. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will bring experience as a CEO of an SME, or equivalent managerial or director experience, as well as ideally an understanding of the challenges of a leading a membership organisation. Potential candidates will ideally be highly skilled in digital marketing, with strong communication and interpersonal skills. He/She will need to bring strategic vision, as well as the leadership skills to ensure coherent and aligned activities across both staff and volunteer teams. The role will be based in London, however, a significant amount of national travel will be required.
Saxton Bampfylde Ltd is acting as an employment agency advisor to the European Movement UK on this appointment. For further information about the role, including details about how to apply, please visit www.saxbam.com/appointments using reference BAKAPA. Alternatively telephone +44 (0)20 7227 0880 (during office hours).
Applications should be received by noon on Monday 29th June.
Membership and Fundraising officer
We are seeking an experienced and passionate Membership and Fundraising Officer to join the European Movement UK team to help build our community.
About the European Movement:
Founded by Winston Churchill in 1947, The European Movement is the UK’s largest pro-European membership organisation. In recent years we were a founding supporter of the People’s Vote campaign.
The European Movement UK is a grassroots organisation with a network of over 126 groups, and it is also linked to a network of groups in the EU27 as part of European Movement International.
Following the election, we have reached an exciting turning point in our organisation. The European Movement UK’s role is more important than ever as we hold the government to account during the Brexit process. We will be campaigning for maintaining European rights, standards and values post-Brexit and campaigning against a no deal end to the transition period.
In the next phase of the European Movement UK we need to put our members front and centre. We need to create a membership offer with the community at its heart.
What we’re looking for:
The European Movement is hiring a Membership and Fundraising officer, to manage our membership base, and to cultivate a European community.
You will be involved in a number of areas within our organisation, including:
- Building and cultivating a community for our members, as well as our supporters and groups
- Provide full administrative support for the membership function of European Movement UK
- Handle membership enquiries on a daily basis
- Support the Head of Digital Campaigns with the creation and implementation of Membership Recruitment and Retention Strategy.
- Support the Events and Organisation Manager with community outreach campaigns.
- Support the Head of Digital Campaigns with content creation for fundraising, membership recruitment and community building on all channels
- Be responsible for regularly updating records on our CRM database and extract reports as required, as well as ensuring our web pages on the CMS are up to date.
- Liaise with finance to ensure accurate payment records for members
- Supporting the Head of Digital, Head of Communications and the Administrative Officer with maintaining the membership system, including membership benefits (packs, newsletters) and similar initiatives such as the EM1000 club
- Supporting the Head of Digital Campaigns with fundraising streams such as philanthropy and trust and foundations fundraising.
Skills and experience
- At least two years’ experience in a membership or fundraising role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with a CRM (essential), experience using NationBuilder (desired)
- Experience building and cultivating a community
- Great interpersonal skills (comfortable building relationships with members)
- Understanding of data protection laws, especially GDPR
- Experience of using a CMS (essential), experience using NationBuilder (desirable)
- Highly organised and good administration skills
- Sound IT skills
- Basic design skills
- Experience using Nationbuilder
- Previous experience of working in a membership organisation or trade/professional body
- Understanding of the European Union and the current Brexit debate
- Ability to write compelling copy
This is a great time to join this organisation as we grow our membership across Europe and beyond!
Closing date: 22nd July 2020
Interview date: 5th August 2020
TO APPLY PLEASE SEND YOUR CV AND COVER LETTER